Sunday, May 25, 2008

Farmer's Market Begins!

The first week is always hectic after having the winter off. I'm not the only vendor that would admit that they had baskets misplaced over the winter, or something they couldn't find. The first few weeks of Market are typically slow until school lets out and the fresh veggies start coming on. The first weeks are a commitment to folks that "we are back and ready for business". It is important for me, now in my 4th year at this market, because I have locals that come seeking me out in the early spring for more soap.



This week my son used the canopy to protect the food items in his booth. If you missed the post about how this came about you can read about it here. He sold cucpakes, cakes, iced cinnamon bread, jams, jellies and preserves. He was bored until the first sale came in, then he was all business and liking how this will work out for the summer.


I'm hoping to have my new canopy ready and here before next weekend, along with the new table coverings. Everything is coming up "spots" these days. I'm going to be loud and stand out in the crowd. No plain jane canopy tent for this chick! Will most definitely share the end result.

It was a very windy day yesterday. I was so glad I didn't have a canopy to contend with. I've always been a stickler about staking down the canopy even if it isn't windy or breezy in the mornings. You never know when a gust of wind might decide to kick up.

We had one vendor that lost their canopy in the wind yesterday. A gust of wind blew up and picked up her canopy, stakes and all, right out of the ground. It went airborne and landed on the brand spanking new canopy of the vendor next to her. The canopy for the vendor next to her was OK, but hers was toast.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your booths look wonderful! Everything looks so tempting. Did your daughter bake everything on the table? I'm drooling!

Our Farmers Market almost never stops now, except for a few weeks, here and there. For a small college town, we have one of the best ones going (and we try to hit Farmers Markets wherever we travel). It draws vendors from all over Indiana, and is more like a festival than a market.

Unknown said...

No, I did all of the baking and goodies this week. Good thing I love to bake!

More of the Farmer's Markets in our area are doing winter markets. I haven't attended one so I'm not sure how it has been attended with buyers.

Anonymous said...

I love to bake too! What did you make for that past week?

Unknown said...

I was pretty low key about the baking because school doesn't get out until June 13. After that...the baking queen will be resurrected for the summer. For this past weekend I made cupcakes, cakes, and cinnamon bread. I'm kinda in limbo for baking this week because it's looking like rain on Saturday. Soap and rain aren't exactly friends unless you want everyone to take bubble baths in the parking lot.