Saturday, May 17, 2008

Gardening Frenzy


It's been a hectic week, but gardening is so relaxing to me. There is something exhilirating about digging in the dirt and seeing the fruits of your labor blossom and grow before your eyes. I have to admit I've never had a freshly planted garden look this good as I never buy plants this mature. And this is the first time I've been given all of the plants by my zealous daughter. I should have made the garden a touch bigger and will be fussing and fuming later this summer when I have to get around the tomato plants...whatever was Ashley thinking...18 tomato plants and 18 pepper plants??? There are 3 different varieties of each, so we'll all be surprised to see what we end up with. This will be a fun garden of guessing. I already know that one marker that said lettuce was clearly not lettuce but rather pepper plants. Everything else looked like what it was supposed to be.

After getting the garden planted, I made my way around the house to check on my perennial flowers. I see there is a lot of weeding that needs to be done. The Bleeding Hearts were smiling back at me today.



And the Lilac bush is so close to bursting open.

4 comments:

storybeader said...

I love perennials! You get beautiful bright colors with no effort - except watering.

Your daughter might be thinking that some of the plants won't make it. We'll see....

Anonymous said...

Nothing like fresh vegetables later this summer! You're going to have a bumper crop LOL

Unknown said...

My husband is thinking "we" should can lots of salsa...and we all know the "we" means ME! LOL

Storybeader - Actually, she was thinking ahead to Farmer's Market where we can sell the excess produce.

faerierebecca - I hope so!

Anonymous said...

Oh my, you are going to have tomatoes growing out of your...um...ears. LOL! Every year, I beg dh to grow fewer tomatoes and cukes. Luckily the chickens like rotten tomatoes, but even they have a limit. We can tons of salsa and tomato sauce; luckily, when I say "we", I do mean "we" instead of "me". ;>

Lovely bleeding hearts! And I really want a lilac bush.