Thursday, May 15, 2008

Setting an Action Plan for Goals

I feel fortunate that I can "double dip" with the information and advice I receive from training I take for my 9 - 5 job, as it also applies and relates to running my business. Yesterday in my class we learned about setting goals and setting them in motion with an action plan. I'm guilty of setting goals, but not having an action plan to see those goals being met. This is what I learned about goal setting today.

Break down general goals...Most often, the goals I set are generalized, which could in essence be broken down into several specific goals. I have to force myself to move beyond broad topic goals and set smaller specific goals.

Dates...not just today's date, but the target date you would like to complete your goal.

Outcomes or results...determine measurable outcomes. How will you know that you accomplished the goal? What will change by accomplishing this goal?

Resources...what do you need or what is required to accomplish the goal.

Barriers...what might impact reaching the goal? What will you do to overcome those barriers/obstacles?

Steps...what is necessary to achieve the outcome. What will you do to accomplish your goal? List those who will be responsible and a timeline.

Success...how will you evaluate the success of this plan?

I can definitely see the advantages of setting goals in this format. Goals can be well thought out and broken down into smaller, more manageable pieces. While the broad goal may not be met in its entirety, a piece or two may have been and that brings you closer to reaching that much broader goal.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed your article on goal setting and want you to know about the "Achievement Journal" that I designed for people to set and achieve their goals. It has many of the elements that you discuss here and more. It includes a place to write your goals, vision pages, undated pages for journaling, 24 pages of self discovery questions, gratitude pages, a place to write your "Bucket List"...things you want to do before you die and in the back there are two pages of peel and stick gold stars to reward yourself for your accomplishments throughout the year. It's an awesome journal and the people who are using it tell me it is making a positive difference in their lives. Go to www.youaremorethanenough.com and check it out. It's awesome.

Kindest regards,
Judi Moreo
Author, "You Are More Than Enough"