Monday, February 4, 2013

Green Apple Goat Milk Soap Snafu

Saturday I made a second batch of soap that caused me some grief.  As soon as I poured the fragrance into the soap it immediately started seizing up and I was scrambling to get it into the mold... glob, plop, mash, mush, smush...well, you get the idea.  I did manage to get some color mixed into part of the soap before it was no longer working for me.  In the past I have used this particular fragrance with no issues, so I'm thinking the addition of the Goat Milk might have had something to do with it. I have to admit it was looking pretty bad and I had no ambition to take a photo but now I wish I had. 

To make matters worse, the soap began heating up and I was fearing the goat milk would scorch so I yanked it out of the mold, it was mostly solid going into the mold, so I didn't worry about it leaking everywhere.  Even outside the mold the soap was still slightly warm when I got up Sunday morning and I have to admit...the UGLIEST log of soap I have ever made.  It smells amazing, so I hated to see it go to waste.

Green Apple Soap Balls
What to do?  I grabbed the grater and shredded up the entire log of soap.  Dry it out?  Throw it out?  Rebatch?  As the soap was quite fresh and still warm when I grated it up I took my chances to treat it like playdough.  After donning my gloves, I squished and kneaded and had fun playing with the otherwise ugly soap...and transformed it into cute soap balls just the perfect size for keeping by the sink for hand washing. 

I guess we shall ride the storm and see what happens during the cure time.  Stay tuned for an update.

No comments: