Monday, July 28, 2008

Jamaican Jerk Chicken


What can I say? I love to grill. I prefer a charcoal kettle grill, but the convenience of a gas grill on busy days does come in handy. I have so many favorites on the grill but the ULTIMATE grill food for me is Jamaican Jerk Chicken.

2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
1/2 cup Sliced Green Onions
1 Small Red Bell Pepper, chopped
2 Cloves Garlic, finely chopped
1 tsp. Dried Thyme
1 tsp. Curry Powder
1/2 tsp. Salt
1/2 tsp. Cumin
1/2 tsp. Ginger
1/4 tsp. Pepper
1/4 tsp. Paprika
1/8 tsp. Cayenne Pepper
6 Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts (I cut into strips but you can leave whole)

----------------------
Heat oil in skillet over medium heat until hot. Cook all ingredients except for chicken for about2 minutes, stir frequently until pepper is crisp tender, cool. This is where a good ziploc bag comes in handy to coat and smoosh the marinade over the chicken...marinate for 30 minutes - 3 hours (I have been known to leave overnight). Don't be put off by the color of the spice combination...trust me, this won't taste at all like it looks!

Grill chicken 4-6 inches from medium coals 15-20 minutes or until done, less if cooking strips. If cooking for a crowd like I find myself doing quite regularly, you can put the cooked chicken into a crock pot set to warm while you finish cooking the remainder of the chicken.

Leftovers are great cold on a chef salad.

9 comments:

Mama Z said...

I knew you'd come up with something super yummy for this blog carnival! Thanks for the recipe.

Erika said...

Tomorrow's blog is about my need for recipes so this is great timing. The chicken sounds so great, I cannot wait to try.

erika

Anonymous said...

You've got me drooling!

storybeader said...

my favorties, grilling, chicken, and (not too) hot food. Looks delicious. Will copy this for DH to try out.

Anonymous said...

Figures you would come up w/a title that does not contain the letter _! Saving them for me ru?

I have never seen a chicken strip. It that what happens when you put one on the grill?

LOL

Yummilicious recipe, thanks for sharing...

Lil_

AWJ said...

Mmm, this sounds so good! :)

Becky said...

Oh my gosh! That sounds sooo good - it's making my tastebuds dance!!!!

Holly {ha! designs} said...

Yuuuummmyyyy...

I can't wait to try this! Sounds easy AND delicious!

Thanks!

A Keeper's Jackpot said...

I missed this last year, but I'm bookmarking this for this summer, sounds better than our jerk marinade.