Wednesday, July 9, 2008

In Memory of Brooke Marie Bennett

Today I attended the funeral for Brooke Bennett with two of my kids. My son spends countless hours with Brooke's older brother as best buds for almost 5 years now. We moved here about the same time as their family. My oldest daughter graduated with Brooke's older sister.

One of the ministers mentioned during the funeral that "good will come of this". It is hard to see that good right now, but it is my hope that tougher laws and stronger punishment for crimes like this will come as a result of this tragedy.

The following is taken from the Memorial Card at the funeral:

After Glow

I'd like the memory of me
to be a happy one.
I'd like to leave an after glow
of smiles when life is done.
I'd like to leave an echo
whispering softly down the ways,
Of happy times and laughing times
and bright and
sunny days.
I'd like the tears of those who
grieve, to dry before the sun
Of happy memories that I leave
When life is done.


On the ride home from the funeral we saw media lining up along Main Street. I wanted to reach out and knock over the cameras. Hasn't this family and our community been through enough already? Can we respect the privacy of the family by giving them the private burial that they are entitled to and deserving of?

2 comments:

storybeader said...

yes, I remember you posting about her before. I hope the family is healing from this awful incident. Thanks for posting.

Anne-Marie said...

Our thoughts are with you, your community and the Bennett family!