Sunday, August 31, 2008

I Was the Winner of a Holiday Website Contest

The year was 1999. We had purchased our first computer and I promised my husband I would make it pay for itself within the first year (I was a SAHM at the time). As the year wore on, I found all sorts of interesting sites with promises of money to earn. Ha Ha! I was product tester, earning money for my feedback. I clicked for points to earn gift cards and cash until one day I happened across a website where you could build a free web page with drag and drop. This interested me. Before long I was surfing for graphics and clicking away with drag and drop and a website emerged that included recipes, household tips and useful information.

Shortly thereafter, it was announced that the website owners were looking for the ultimate Holiday website. The winner would receive a brand new computer from Dell, and 10 runners up would receive scanners. The idea of a new scanner was enticing to me (I already had a computer) so I started a new website and poured my heart into it, working around the clock for days. The site had appeal to both young and old. There was a family greeting, a memorial to my Grandfather that had passed away just before Christmas the year before, children's activities, holiday recipes and more.

The deadline to submit the website for inclusion in the contest was drawing closer. When I viewed the other websites I was up against I certainly didn't feel I stood a chance of winning and held off to submit. In the final hours before the contest entry deadline I came to realize that it wasn't about winning, but rather the satisfaction that I had successfully built the website and had fun in the process. The website was subsequently submitted for inclusion in the contest, never dreaming I would stand a chance of winning.

Several days prior to the announcemnt of the winners, I received official notification that my site had been selected as the overall winner in their contest which meant I had won the grand prize ~ a Brand New Dell Computer. I had to pinch myself several times to make sure I wasn't dreaming. When the realization hit me that I had actually won, I started hooting and hollering and jumping up and down chanting "I won! I won! I won!!!"

My winning website no longer exists after the site owners eliminated the "free" websites. Regardless, I will never forget the experience that gave me such deep satisfaction and a very large boost of self-confidence.

This topic was inspired by the Etsybloggers Blog Carnival for September 15
A very Special Thanks to our Gracious Host ~ Storybeader who asked us to Choose one of these two topics to write about:
1) pick a favorite color, and show it in your work

2) tell about a challenge or contest you've been in, how it's done, and what kind of reaction you got

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful, inspiring story! It's what I always tell my kids (and myself!) - do it with a goal in mind, but do it for yourself; aim high, but take pride in doing your best even if you don't win something for it.

Thanks for sharing it!

storybeader said...

ok, so what happened at home? Do you have two computers, or did you sell one? What would everybody do, eh?

Made by Melissa said...

Wow! How cool!

CRAFTS FROM THE HEART said...

What a great story!

AWJ said...

Very cool-- congrats on your win! That's a very cool story, and what a terrific prize. :)

maryeb said...

I'm glad I found your post.
I'm new to the blogger team and I am not sure where to find the carnival topics. So you're post was not only a great story to read, but helpful in getting me on track.
Thanks!

Erika said...

What a great story. It is always fun to win something, especially after putting in hard work.

stitch.tac.sew said...

This is an awesome story, I also just noticed the baby tracker. Congratulations!!!

Vanessa @ See Vanessa Craft said...

Wow great story! How awesome that you won a computer! Congrats on your soon to be grandbaby!

Yazmin said...

I guess you did make your computer pay. ;)

Live, Love, Laugh, Write! said...

What an awesome story! I always knew you rocked...