Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Beetnik Cake

This cake recipe was graciously contributed by Mary Lou LaPierre, Jericho Elementary School, Vermont. It is part of a recipe booklet Vermont Feed has given as a handout from their various conferences and classes that I have had the pleasure of attending over the past four years. You can find a sampling of some of their other recipes in a PDF file here. I have tasted all of their recipes and haven't found one that I didn't like.

(Keep in mind these are written for larger quantities so you could cut the recipes in half or fourths for home use.)

BEETNIK CAKE
Yield: 25 servings
Set oven to 350 degrees

67 oz. cooked & peeled beets in water (chop in food processor and use juice)
2 cups cocoa powder
1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
1 cup applesauce
2 Tbsp. Vanilla
3 pounds sugar
3 Tbsp. baking soda
7 eggs
1 1/2 pounds unbleached flour
1 1/2 pounds whole wheat pastry flour

Directions:
Puree beets in food processor with juice. Mix all ingredients in mixer. Pour into greased sheet cake pan (or lined muffin tins). Bake 40-45 min. (if cutting recipe in size I would check after 30 min.) Muffin cups check after 20 min. Test with toothpick. Sprinkle with powdered sugar or frosting of your choice.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a most interesting use of beets. I generally like mine, fresh out of the ground, boiled, peeled and then slathered with butter. But I will keep this in mind for when we have a surplus of beets. Thanks!

By the way, with the weight measurement (67 oz for the industrial size version) of beets & water, what percentage of that weight is the water?

Unknown said...

I always measure the beets as 67oz. and add water to cook them like I would normally do for fresh cooked beets. Then I process the beets and just keep adding the juice to the beet mixture until it weighs out at approximately the same weight as before. You're talking to a cook that likes to use a recipe as a guide. I always add my own twist to things...dump, mix, looks about right and pour. LOL Nothing is ever a failure, just some work out better than others.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the explanation! I wasn't quite sure what they meant by that line. I wish I had your talent to just wing it (dh does, but I don't), but I'll be following that recipe to a T.

If it's not too much to ask, I was actually wanting the recipe for your Rich Dark Chocolate cupcakes with Whipped Icing as shown in the photo. :) Thanks!!

Unknown said...

I got a little help from my friends at Duncan Hines...dark chocolate cake mix. And some help from Wilton with their Whipped topping mix ...Shh...don't tell anyone I cheated! LOL

Anne-Marie said...

Thanks for posting that healthy cupcake recipe. I can't wait to try it! I think I might try that "Duncan Hines" recipe too. Boxed or not...they look delicious!

Anonymous said...

Cheating is perfectly fine for a busy woman like yourself! And it's the way you presented it that makes it better than the rest. :) Thanks again!

Unknown said...

I can vouch for the fact that they did indeed pass the quality control tests. Only problem is, I've run out of them and have to make more!