Tuesday, January 29, 2013

I Could Wait No Longer!


Mr. Moo helps groom the snowmobile trails and had a piece of equipment that was in need of repair tonight.  So, I wasted no time jumping into bubble mode as soon as he left...move over dinner plans until the soap is mixed and in the mold!   A short time later the first batch of goat milk soap emerged.  Yippee!!!

I must say that the new soap room is the perfect space for creating goat milk soap as it is colder than the rest of the house, and perfect for keeping the soap from heating up after going in the mold.  As I have basically only dealt with powdered goat milk in the past, working with fresh milk was a new experience for me.  I mixed the frozen milk with a bit of the lye over a bowl of ice to keep the temp down, and when that was mixed in, added more in small amounts until all of it was mixed in and the goat milk completely thawed and incorporated with the lye.  The goat milk never got too hot, and when mixed with the oils stayed a nice creamy color. 

After pouring most of the soap into the mold I decided to add some mica to the remaining soap for a swirl of color mixed into the soap. This batch is an Essential Oil mix of Sweet Orange with a touch of Patchouli.  About an hour after the pour the soap is behaving beautifully and not heating up.  When hubby came home he knew I'd been the mad scientist in the soap room as he could smell the evidence as soon as he walked in the door.  LOL 

Post to follow with the unmolded log and cut bars. 

No comments: