Friday, June 19, 2009

Summer in Vermont

Summer is here! The school where I work has been out for a week, now. YEAH! Time to get down to some fun in the summer sun....wait, we haven't had much sun or heat yet!

In a nutshell, summer in Vermont is never warm enough or long enough to appease me. But, I didn't move here on account of the weather, it came with the package so to speak. While most of the south is sweltering and stuck indoors with air conditioning, just last week we were still running the woodstove to take the chill out of the air indoors.

Ponds, lakes and even the ocean in nearby New Hampshire and Maine is never warm enough to suit me. First time I took the kids to Hampton Beach, NH the natives of this region were walking in and out of the water as though it was a tropical beach. I was fooled...you know it is cold when you take a step into the icy water and your toes cramp up immediately. We're talking skin is red from the icy cold. No comparison to warmer climates where the ocean waters are warmer. Despite the cold water, it is always great fun to hang out on the beach for a day.

My favorite beachy place to visit is Old Orchard Beach in Maine. The family fun atmosphere includes an amusement park, lots of eating establishments and live entertainment. The Pier is awesome, and one often hears live music from establishments within the pier while hanging out on the beach.

Tapping toes, anxiously awaiting the arrival of some sun and heat so we can get out and enjoy our summer of fun!

10 comments:

BeadedTail said...

Old Orchard Beach looks wonderful! We went to Maine and NH in August one year and the water was still nippy although we were able to enjoy it. The ocean here in Oregon stays cold year round too. Such a beautiful area you live in though!

Meghann said...

That is a great photo - it would make a wonderful painting or a postcard.
I am waiting for warmer weather here also :)

Becky said...

we went to that very same pier last year, isn't it awesome! :D

storybeader said...

the pier looks lovely! I wouldn't care if the water was cold - just to be on an ocean beach is enough for me. Went to camp in Vermont - it's beautiful, and we swam everyday in Lake Champlain!

Anonymous said...

Would love to visit Vermont one day!

LOL...the water temp has to be triple digits before I'll dip in it, so I know what you mean!

Memories for Life said...

I sure hope you get some sun and warmth soon :)
You're so right...a beach is great whether the water is warm or not!

Splendid Little Stars said...

I have been in Vermont in the summer and loved it. so beautiful. The pier photo is great!

The Silver Age Sara said...

I've got to say I'm enjoying this summer. Cool, windy days and fires at night. Not all that heat they are having in the rest of the country.
I loved the photos.

~~Sew Happy Designs~~ said...

My son and his family visit that same exact spot in Maine the last two years...we hope one day to go with them....

Anne-Marie said...

Beautiful, amazing photo. Love the stilts and the little buildings.

Washington beaches get warm in August and September but tend to be fairly rocky (there are some but not that I get lucky enough to frequent) so I dream of warm and sandy beaches, even in the summer.