Sunday, April 5, 2009

Life Moves On...Leaving Entrecard in the Dust

Admittedly we all make choices and with those choices there are consequences. Such is the case with Entrecard. All of the good intentions to bring in paid advertisement as a means to turn credits into cash for members ~ Great concept, very poor execution.

I have many faithful readers and fellow Entrecard members that have made their daily drops in an effort to buy a 24 hour window of advertising on my blog. Many of you have had to wait 7-10 days for your your ad to run on my blog. I am OK with paid ads, so long as they wait in line for their spot the same as those who have spent their credits to advertise on my blog. I do not feel it is fair for those paid ads to jump to the top of the dog pile and share the advertising spot with my blogging buds who have been waiting patiently for their ads to display. The same blogging buds that meticulously dropped in on other blogs day in and day out to earn the credits to purchase the ad spot on my blog.

I am refusing any and all paid ads, cancelled those paid ads I had previously approved, and I have set my account to not accept any new adverts purchased with credits. The last ad purchased with Entrecard credits will run on my Entrecard widget on April 8. After that, the Entrecard widget will be removed from my blog.

Thank you for understanding.

13 comments:

Melissa said...

I agree with you. Entrecard is a ton of work and I thought it was a good way to advertise when I'm low on actual money (which is most always). I haven't looked into the new feature, but I will now and don't want paid for credits to go ahead of earned credits.

Melissa

Anonymous said...

You should check out http://www.cmfads.com - the ads are very low cost and it takes a lot less time to use. Some sites accept ads for as little as $0.25 for 30 days. There's a very friendly community too :)

storybeader said...

you're on my blog list anyway, so I'll still be coming by! I noticed the paid ad jumping to the front, and hope that the others can still be seen, even though it says it is running... and it's not! You know what I mean...

Erika said...

I am thinking of doing the same thing! I cannot believe that I have spent so much on dropping and now people cannot even see my widget...I was annoyed that the paid ads are jumping to the top of the list and some of them were horrible to boot:)

jenn said...

A lot of people feel this way, and the more I am learning about it, the more I am beginning to question whether I will stick with it or not.

Anonymous said...

Very interesting stuff about Entrecard...I've never quite understood how it works because I'd not researched it enough, but now I'm pretty sure I don't want to do it.

And, I visit your blog because I enjoy it, and no other ulterior motives...LOL! :)

The Silver Age Sara said...

I'm up in the air about Entrecard. I had so many paid ads waiting yesterday and it takes so long to go through all and reject or approve them. When it was just the regulars, I never had to reject any ad.
I'm going to give it a week and then make a final decision but I understand your sentiments.

Anonymous said...

Sorry to see you leave. CMF has been mentioned already. It certainly offers the needed level of control over who appears on your widget. Judging by the blogs I have approved, and placed my own widget on, they have reasonably high standards for entry. You also see those other blogs linked to that widget. Certainly gives me a comfort level. Not only do I know the parents, I know if the kids are the ones breaking my windows. I have no idea who/what I approved on EC, and still don't.

Five O'Clock Somewhere said...

I am also on the fence, I liked the format alot more before all the paid ads. I'll still be by!

TiLT said...

I'm not sure about sticking with it either....

Jenni said...

i'm with you. I've been debating dropping EC anyway because with the pregnancy and all the craziness in my life right now I'm not doing ANY dropping, and I'm just not sure if I have the energy to keep it up...
I had two cards, and I have already dropped one, and will keep the other for a while but it will probably go by summer. I like the idea of getting extra traffic for free, but I can't afford the time cost.

Stephanie said...

This whole Entrecard thing is just difficult! I love your site though - We share the same background on one of my blogs :) I would be happy to add you to my blogroll if you would like! Let me know!!

Joyuna said...

Yes, all the new changes at Entrecard have been handled very poorly. A number of people are leaving and I don't blame them. I'll be following you though, and a number of your soaps and other B&B stuff are on my Etsy wishlist. :)
~Joy