My first attempt was the only one that I took pictures of the entire process, and fortunately that is the one that I liked the best. My second and third attempts are posted here. I had done something similar to the Holly Swirl prior to the challenge and included the resulting soap along with the second and third attempt.
As this was The Holly Swirl, I was thinking along the lines of Holly Jolly Christmas and chose to make a soap scented with Bayberry. I used oxides for colorants, and after the addition of the fragrance the batter started moving along into a thicker trace than I would have wanted but I liked the results, none the less. (My second attempt was more fluid and poured at a light trace, and the third attempt was poured at medium/light trace.) For the Bayberry soap, the contrast between the red and white swirl against the green really made the colors pop.
The process to the end result:
|Red and white swirl in the pot|
|Red and white swirl poured into the green soap base|
|All finished and ready to tuck the soap into bed for the night|
Someone recently posted in one of the soap groups that I particpate in to take thumb tacks and poke them into the top of the mold before tucking textured top soaps into a blanket for the night. Great tip, no more botched textured tops on soaps!
|Soap log ready for cutting|
I don't have one of those fancy cutters (still a dream for me), just my trusty old Cutco chef's knife and a wooden cutting guide. Seeing as no one was home when I made or cut the soap, I have no photos of the cutting process to show you.
|Close up of one of the cut bars of soap|
I really enjoyed participating in this month's challenge and have some amazing soaps to show for it. One of these days I might get brave enough to produce some You Tube videos of my soapmaking adventures.